Friday, 2 August 2013

Craft Fair Preparations: Felt and Vintage Map Bunting

Only one week to go until I will be at the Cheshire Showground Food Festival so I am working on final preparations now.

Im stocking up on lots of products, including some brand new items so my latest task was to make some signage for my stall which I thought I would share with you....


I wanted to make some bunting with PepperPot written on it. I decided to make something completely different so tried out an idea I've had in mind for a while.

I always enjoy working with felt, so I started by cutting out nine pairs of flags in pink and green felt. I wanted to letters to be cut out of the felt, so I had to make letter templates.

 There are of course so wonderful stencils and templates available to buy, but I used foam bath letters to draw card templates for the letters I needed.


 I cut out the letters in the middle of the felt flags

 I recently bought some old vintage maps and sheet music from a charity shop so I thought this was a good opportunity to use them. I cut flags out of the map, slightly smaller than the felt flags so  they wouldnt show at the sides when sewn.

 I then stitched each pair of felt flags together with a piece of map sandwiched  in the middle, I then stitched around the outline of the letter to hold the map in place and to define the letters more clearly.

Once all the pieces were sewn together I trimmed the flags with pinking shears to finished them off then attached them to some cream bias binding, and here is the finished product:





 So if you are in the North West of England on 10th or 11th August come along and join in all the fun at the Cheshire Food Festival - lots of good food, craft stalls and family entertainment - find out more at http://www.cheshireshowgroundfoodfestival.co.uk/, and if you do come along make sure you come and say hello!